With the 5th month of the year halfway over (TIME, WHAT?), let’s see how I’m doing with my 2016 Reading Goals!
- Read 65 books — Okay, so, according to Goodreads, I’ve read a total of 12 books so far this year. Also according to Goodreads, I’m 12 books behind schedule. Am I embarrassed? A little. I’m not super proud of my current reading habits. I’m currently part-of-the-way through a handful of books, and have about a dozen books checked out from the library, so I will attempt to narrow that gap in the coming weeks. (Key word: attempt.)
- Read 8 classics — I’ve been stagnant for months on an audiobook of Agatha Christie short stories, so I need to check it out again from the library and finish it. Other than that… Some of my next possible reads are: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith, Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfield, The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, and several Agatha Christie mysteries I’ve snatched (with full permission) from my dad’s library. I honestly have so many classics to choose from, but, for some reason, they’re never high on my TBR.
- Reread the Harry Potter series — Yeahhhh no. Haven’t done this. I honestly don’t foresee myself reading the whole series, but I will absolutely try to reread the first 2 or 3 books by the end of the year.
- Finish 5 series I’ve already started — So, I’m almost done with the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger! I’m on book 4 of 5 at the moment. Other than that… I’ve read 2 out of 5 books of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull and started the 3rd a few months ago. I haven’t really been in the mood for it as of late, but it would certainly be possible to finish this series in the near-ish future. As I’ve mentioned previously, book series are typically my kryptonite, so I have probably a dozen other series that I’ve started but haven’t finished. A few are: The Hunger Games trilogy, of which I’ve read 2.5 books; The Darkest Minds trilogy, with 1 out of 3 read; The Lunar Chronicles series, with 2 out of 4 (arguably more than 4 with the novellas) read; and, brace yourselves, Twilight, having read the first 2 books, 80% of Eclipse, and none of Breaking Dawn. *[cue deep male, possibly British, voice] Will Wendy ever relive her early high school years by rereading and finishing Twilight? Stay tuned to find out on this season of Bits of Prose and Whimsy*
- Read 3 non-fiction books — So I’m currently reading Bossypants by Tina Fey, and finishing it will get me 1/3 of the way through this goal! And I have a bunch more on my TBR, so this will definitely happen. YAY.
Well, it’s been real. Clearly I’m not burning it up in 2016, but I’m not completely failing. Only mostly.
How is it going reaching your goals? Does anyone else have trouble with finishing series? Classics recommendations?
Thanks for reading!
I’ve gotta make myself some reading goals for 2016! Some of these are repeats from last year, some are not. Heeeere we go…
- Read 65 books — The most books I’ve read in a single year is 51 in 2015, but I really think I can bump that up this year. It’s only about 5 per month! I can do this!
- Read 8 classics — I have so many beautiful classics sitting on my shelves, so I would really like to get to some of them. I’m not usually one to feel guilty about books I haven’t read, but these may be my exception. (*Queue Paramore song*)
- Reread the Harry Potter series — So I’ve been wanting to reread the series for years now… It’s my all-time/forever favorite series, after all! It does still feel a bit daunting, but maybe this year will finally be the year! (Or I can at least read part of it.)
- Finish 5 series I’ve already started — Oh man, guys. I could write an entire blog post about my aversion to finishing series. If I glance up at my book shelves, I can immediately spot at least 4 series that I’ve yet to finish. Gah. This one really needs to happen. (I never finished Mockingjay, if that gives you an idea of my problem.)
- Read 3 non-fiction books — This may not seem like a lot, but I rarely read non-fiction books. There are plenty that I want to read, so as long as I plan ahead, it shouldn’t be too difficult.
I think this is a pretty solid list! What are some of your 2016 reading goals? I’d love to discuss!
Thanks for reading! 🙂
Despite it already being February, I’ve decided that it’s time to set myself some reading goals for 2015. I’ve been in a bit of a reading slump lately, so maybe some goals will help me get back on track.
- Read 50 books — This was also my goal for 2014, but I was just shy with 48. I’m determined to reach 50 this year! Because reasons. I don’t know. I like that number. I’ll bump it up later if I’m rockin’ it.
- Read 8 classics — I’m using the word ‘classics’ somewhat loosely so that it includes children’s classics as well. I have three shelves of beautiful editions just sitting in my room waiting for me to finally pick them up.
- Reread the Harry Potter series! — I haven’t reread them in years, so I really want to get back into that world. And it’s Harry freaking Potter. Do I really need another reason? No. The answer is no.
- Finish 5 series — These can be either series I’ve already started or ones that I begin this year. Obviously, finishing up series that I’ve already started is preferable, but I’ll end up reading whatever I’m in the mood for.
- Listen to 4 audiobooks — Audiobooks are a nice change of pace, so I’m going to try to listen to them more often. And checking them out from the library is the easiest thing ever, so I don’t really have any excuses. (Well, besides my tendency to fall asleep when I listen to them before bed.) But yeah, audiobooks.
I think those are all pretty manageable. Does anyone have any other suggestions for reading goals that have worked for you? I’d love to hear ’em!
Cheers to a splendid year of reading!